Skip to content
How Do I...?

Non-Residential Permits

Permit Information for Non-Residential Projects

Non-Residential Permits:

Lower Gwynedd Township requires permits for many things. If you are contemplating doing work, renting a space, or opening a new business in the Township please make sure you have the proper permits. The Building and Zoning Department office is happy to help. The links below provide many of the forms and information you may need.

Common projects needing permits include:

  • Any electrical or mechanical work, other than changing fixtures
  • Demolition
  • New construction
  • Renovations or repair other than cosmetic
  • Sidewalks
  • Fireplace/woodstove installation
  • Fire suppression systems
  • Fire alarm systems
  • Generator Installation
  • Window or roof replacement
  • Dumpsters


All construction work must conform to the requirements of the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code. The UCC Administration and Enforcement regulation has adopted the following codes for use throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:

Online Township Code of Ordinance


A building permit is required to erect, construct, enlarge, add to, alter, repair, replace, improve, remove, install, or maintain any structure or building. This includes accessory buildings. 

Commercial Building Permits and information includes plumbing, mechanical, electrical, accessibility, etc.

Business and Commercial Occupancies - regardless of owner or tenant occupation.

  • Certificate of Occupancy 
  • New Business Info-Provide all pertinent information about your business- tell us what you will be doing!
  • Commercial Use and Occupancy of a building or space in a building

Lower Gwynedd Township is business-friendly and we encourage the expansion and redevelopment of commercial spaces. Please review our permit guidelines and policies:

When is a business doing work on a building required to consider accessibility?

Any new commercial construction, any commercial construction addition, any commercial alteration of an existing commercial structure, and any change of occupancy class in commercial occupancies will trigger the need to meet the accessibility code requirements and require an accessibility plan review and approval.

This means that if you are moving into a space that was previously occupied by a business in a different use category under the building code, you will need to make the space 100% accessible.