2nd Annual Lower Gwynedd Township Tree Giveaway
A century ago, the tree canopy (defined as the layer of leaves, branches, and stems that provide tree coverage of the ground when viewed from above) of the world was adequate to keep up with the formation of CO₂. Now, because of fewer trees and more carbon emissions (CO₂ mostly) the global tree population can handle less than 1/4 of today’s CO₂ in the atmosphere.
- Trees are “natural air conditioners” reducing residential energy costs.
- Trees provide help to clean the air by producing oxygen, reducing smog, thus enhancing a community’s respiratory health.
- Trees provide economic benefits to communities. Homes landscaped with trees sell more quickly and are worth 5% to 15% more than homes without trees.
Lower Gwynedd Township is committed to playing its part in increasing the population of trees. As of 2012 LGT had about 50% of its 9.3 square mile area covered by its tree canopy. It is likely that the tree canopy has declined since 2012 due to additional clear cut development and the decline of native ash trees due to the invasive and destructive emerald ash borer.
Lower Gwynedd Township can increase the tree canopy in two ways: add more trees to township-owned property or add more trees to private property. Township public property is mostly forest and parks and there is not much that can be added there. In contrast there is a great deal of private property that has open space that can accommodate many trees.
The Township Board of Supervisors is asking you to help by planting a tree on your property within Lower Gwynedd. This year we are supplying 300 Lower Gwynedd township property owners with one free tree, per Lower Gwynedd address, on a first-register, first-choice basis.
Some trees will do better in certain areas than other trees, so we, in consultation with local arborists, have obtained a variety of trees to match the conditions within the township. We have selected ten species, six flowering and four shade, so we will have 25 to 50 trees in each category (more of the more popular flowering varieties, based on last year’s giveaway).
The trees are listed below, with the most important characteristics of size, water needs and sunlight requirements. More details about all trees, including noteworthy characteristics, uses, more details on ideal growing conditions and culture, and photos, can be found here, a PDF will be downloaded. Exact species and their sizes may change based on availability, but we will do our best to ensure you get your preferred tree. The registration form also has a place for you to indicate any other species that could work for you, if your first choice ends up not being available.
How to get your tree:
As soon as you have decided on a tree from our list go to the pre-registration form to choose your tree and pickup time on Saturday, October 14th. A limited number of each tree species and time slots between 8am - noon are available. If a tree is no longer listed all trees of that type have been requested, and if a time slot is no longer listed it is full. We are requesting everyone chose a half hour time slot to prevent a long line of traffic on Bethlehem Pike and to prevent long waits to pick up your tree. Trees and planting supplies (a bag of mulch) will be picked up Township Administration Building, 1130 North Bethlehem Pike Spring House, PA 19477. The time slot you select for your tree pickup will have no bearing on the likelihood of your obtaining a tree since you are also reserving a specific tree type in addition to a time slot.
- After filling out the pre-registration form you will receive a confirmation email with the information you filled out on the form. Save this email for future reference, and bring it with you (printed or on your phone) when you come to pick up your tree. If you do not get a confirmation email please first check your spam folder, and then email email@example.com to confirm that your registration form was received.
- On Saturday October 14th, you should drive to the Administration Building parking lot during your selected time slot in a vehicle that is large enough to hold a potted tree up to 5’ tall. Bring your confirmation email with you. We will be giving out trees rain or shine. We will load your tree in your vehicle (bring your own tarp or other material to protect the inside of your vehicle, if you would like). In addition to your tree we will provide a bag of mulch to help your tree grow and keep lawnmowers at a distance. Instructions for planting can be found here, a PDF will be downloaded. We will not be providing deer protection this year as there are different sizes/shapes of trees, which complicates including this material in the giveaway. We do recommend protecting your young tree from deer, and have compiled this information to determine the best way to protect your tree in the beginning of its time on your property. Deer Protection Information